Suntria Solar is a leading residential energy storage and solar solutions provider. We’re passionate about helping you gain energy independence. But before you take the leap forward into solar power freedom, why not take a step back and look at the evolution of energy up until this point?
We’ll take a quick look at the evolution of energy from coal all the way to renewable sources used today like solar energy. Plus, let’s get a better picture of how solar energy came to be and what the landscape looks like today. If you’ve been thinking about making the switch and becoming energy independent, read on!.
The History of Energy
Economic and technological developments have contributed to shifts in energy sources used around the world . These shifts from coal to oil to gas and beyond can be broken down into five main phases:
- Pre-Industrial Revolution Up until the 1800s, most of the energy consumed was a combination of biomass (firewood), manual labor and windmills or watermills.
- Industrial Revolution In the 19th Century, we see the big switch to coal to power things like steam engines and power plants. This is where people began using thermal energy to generate mechanical energy (i.e. coal to electricity).
- Early 20th Century We see the slow transition from coal to oil during this time. This shift introduced oil energy for combustion, which made cars and the advent of oil-powered ships possible.
- Late 20th Century Petroleum products are the biggest energy source during this time and we see the world develop a high level of dependence on them to power the economy. As technical advancements increased, we started using more efficient fossil fuels like natural gas and nuclear fission. This is also when renewable energy sources such as solar and hydroelectric energy began to be utilized, although their potential has yet to be fully tapped.
- 21st Century Currently, we’re seeing huge shifts in energy sources as fossil fuels become less available. We’ll see more and more people adopting energy sources such as solar cell technology, nuclear fission, and other advanced technologies in the near future and beyond.
A Short History of Solar Energy
To go a little deeper on solar energy, solar cell technology has been around a lot longer than most people think. Sure, it largely gained traction in the 1970s with the first push of government subsidization, but it actually made its debut on the scene during the Industrial Revolution. Way back in 1839. French physicist, Alexandre Edmond Becquerellar  discovered the photovoltaic effect, or the production of an electric current when exposed to light. A few decades later some other monumental occurrences helped spark the eventual solar power revolution, Charles Fritts  made the first rooftop solar setup in 1893 in New York and Albert Einstein published a paper further studying the process which would win him the Nobel Prize in 1921. These advancements were only the beginning for solar.
Solar Energy Today
Now that we’ve looked at the evolution of energy and solar power throughout the ages, let’s take a look at what it’s like today. Did you know that 174,000 terawatts of energy are produced from solar radiation at any given moment or that one hour of sunlight could produce one year’s worth of energy for the planet ? Pretty cool stuff.
Unsurprisingly, solar energy has become a big part of energy consumption in America. Two million+ solar panels have been installed in the United States to date and that number keeps growing. In the last decade alone, solar use has jumped up by 49% , in part due to some really impactful government policies and tax breaks. The rise of renewable energy sources such as solar cell technology is just one of the major stepping stones into a more eco-friendly and energy-independent future.
How Suntria Makes Switching To Solar Easy
Now that you’ve seen the evolution of energy up until the current boom of solar energy adoption, let’s talk switching. At Suntria, we’re dedicated to finding the perfect fit for your personal solar needs. Our expert team is here to start a conversation with you as you navigate the big switch to solar. Over the past 15 years, we’ve helped countless homeowners in Arizona, California, Nevada, and Texas save money and gain energy independence by choosing solar power. We work with top-notch brands including REC, Enphase, and Tesla. These partners are key in helping us deliver the most cost-efficient and energy impactful solar panels to date. Plus, with a variety of financing options, you can pay nothing for twelve months or get up to $1500 cashback.
Solar energy has a rich history in the tapestry of energy evolution. As we walked through the high-level shifts of energy consumption from the Industrial Revolution to today—we’ve gotten a birds-eye view of how solar will continue to impact our energy consumption for centuries to come.
If you’re interested in making the switch, start with a free online quote to start your solar journey today!